Friday, June 19, 2009

NBC`s Chris Hanson- The New Allen Funt???

Back again, did you truly believe I could capture anyone`s imagination or interest with my opinons/views as to why there are so few Male golfers on the PGA Tour in comparison to the LPGA. Sorry to disappoint.




Let me state for the record that I love TV. I have tastes that range from the home reno shows on HGTV despite my non-existent skills as a renovator, I enjoy seeing things stripped down to nothing (I know what your thinking) and being rebuilt into a great room/home etc...I love sports, comedies, dramas however, there is a show or more specifically a Broadcast Journalist who has irritated/angered me for a while now and I am going to weigh in on my feelings about one Chris Hanson, who`s "To Catch a...." series on NBC has garnered fantastic rating and controversy alike.




Hanson graduated from Michigan State University in 1981 with a Bachelor`s Degree in College of Communication Arts and Sciences, Department of Telecommunications. Sounds impressive to me which is why I have difficulty accepting his most recent ventures into hidden camera stings as puzzling for someone with his background and previous bodies of work.




I recall Hanson a few years back contributing some solid reporting on the Columbine shootings, Oklahoma City Bombings and the Unabomber, not any longer my friends. Hanson has taken his game to a whole new level, one that has him hiding behind walls watching as the authorities swoop in on unsuspecting citizens embroiled in illegal activity. Sounds pretty productive doesn`t it?? Well, to a point, his "Predator" series has exposed many vile characters as they attempt to meet with underage women. Disgusting, revolting and absolutely stomach turning for sure, yet I am somehow left feeling as though Hanson`s presence and that of a TV camera or camera`s recording this process is well..........gutless and sneaky. Hanson would exclaim that this show is taking the bad off the streets, exposing their hideous crimes to the world, and that in itself is a good thing.




I do agree, getting these people off the streets is nothing but positive, but I also feel all this police work, stings as they say in the biz, can all be conducted, and are conducted for the majority of time without the aid of Hanson and his camera`s. As each of these offenders enter the home, begins their contact with the "victim", out pops Hanson, right there in the home, he then springs into verbal action to the unsuspecting offenders. They inevitably run out of the home, right into the waiting arms of the authorities. BRAVO!! Mr. Hanson, again, to catch these individuals is a positive, to videotape this all happening for the nation to watch seems to me as far too easy Journalism. Hanson has been called out by many for his tactics with words such as deceiving and collusion being used to describe this form of Journalism, he stands by his approach of course. Not that Hanson is to blame for this but, in Texas, Louis William Conradt Jr., a district attorney himself, committed suicide after he was exposed in what I am now calling the "Hanson Sting". The SWAT team filed into his home, the camera`s rolling, and Mr. Conradt committed suicide. I can`t help but think, if the investigation of Mr. Conradt had of been done in the usual manner police would conduct this crime, Conradt would be in prison serving his due sentece rather than in a graveyard.




Hanson has officially become in my eyes the "Broadcast Journalist" I respect least, his most recent venture was some laughable "Hanson Sting" stint in Vegas, at one point, a man in handcuffs is being walked to the squad car, Hanson, with all his bravado and humor says to the man, and I am paraphrasing here, "I`d shake your hand but that obviously isn`t possible right now". RIGHT ON CHRIS, MSU should be proud, hell, why don`t you give TMZ a call, that is right up your alley? I love the look on Hanson`s face when these suspects say the words "your that guy who.." in reference to his Predator series. What a moron.




Allen Funt began a series back in the late 40`s on radio called Candid Microphone, which found it`s way onto Television in the form of Candid Camera and has been loved by many. The "Hanson Sting", in my opinion, is not much different from Funt`s popular franchise with one absolute difference, Funt`s series was done for laughter, Hanson`s done for seemingly self pleasing measures and has met with tragic outcomes for some. Truly disappointing that a Journalist/Broadcaster who does have a previously solid resume has resorted to this style of reporting.




That`s all from me today.


AJP

No comments:

Post a Comment