Friday, July 31, 2009

Papi PED Guilty???

Been a while, plenty to potentially talk about however, as a sports fan, and most specifically a Red Sox fan, news of David Ortiz testing positive for a PED has absolutely shattered my appreciation for Papi.

Well, come to think of it, that is about as far from the truth to how I really feel. There is little that surprises me when it comes to hearing anything about Baseball players whom have used any PED to "help them heal". We have all by now seen the Mark McGuire, Jose Canseco`s, Barry Bonds etc....circus`, all the time, as each and every individual proclaims their innocence, everyone who has a minimal amount of knowledge of baseball knew all along that these players did not suddenly become giants overnight by hitting the weight room alone.

My question, or opinion is, Who the Hell Cares?? And why would we or do we care? This steroid storyline has long been a bore from day one. I, in no way condone athlete`s who feel the pressure to use any drug to enhance their abilities, often resulting in prolonging a career which essentially would be non-existent without them however, this is such a non-story in my opinion.

What puzzles me is just how much attention this has received, and what does all this attention say about us as a society that we continue to put these athletes on pedestals that most never wanted to be on, and more importantly, should not be on? Why is it that seemingly knowledgeable sports fans even put an athlete or entertainer in the category of "hero"? I have great admiration of athletes who perform at a world class level. I can`t identify with their skills on a personal level as I have never been a world class athlete. I have been a participant in many organized sports, some at a high level, but not close to world class or professional.

Do I really care if Alex Rodriguez was/is juiced? As a fan of the sport, I want to see my team win (trust me, the Yanks aren`t my team), I would like to think that all players on my favourite team are fantastic athletes who do not require any assistance in the form of drugs to be the best. I am not naive though, I am aware, even to this day as testing is done with a touch more frequency, there are always going to be athletes who will take a chance. Who cares?? It is sad that many of these athletes are doing so while risking life threatening health concerns, are doing so to hold onto what could be their last chance at glory of staying in the big leagues. The most negative aspect of all these players getting busted? The kids out there, who see their "hero" continue to acknowledge a standing ovation after a home run, after another strikeout, after another stolen base, and all is forgotten/forgiven. The one`s who are angriest about all this steroid mess are the athletes who competed clean in years past, who are now forced to watch players shatter previously untouchable records with ease. They should be pissed, they should be disgusted, they should be ashamed that the sport they competed in clean has long been polluted with juicers who are making more in a week many of those past greats did in a career.

Pete Rose`s past indiscretions appear like a Disney feel good movie in comparison to the mess that the players and MLB baseball has turned a blind eye to for years now.

If I am seeking a hero to admire, I hope I always seek those who are the real hero`s, Teachers, Doctor`s, and how about the biggest heroes out there, parents. Those will be my personal choices for a hero, not overpaid, juiced, and guilty athletes.

AJP

No comments:

Post a Comment